I recently found an external hard drive that had been missing for about 3 years. I am so excited because I had previously come to terms with loosing several years worth of family pictures and quilt pictures. But lo and behold, I found it and now I can add several quilts to the blog! A number of the quilts are unfinished in the pictures. I don’t know why I took pictures of unfinished quilts, but I’m glad I did because most of these quilts were gifted away several years ago so these pictures are the only records I have of them.
I’ve decided to make a mini-series of these quilts not only to show off my profile, but it’s also interesting for me to see how my quilting has improved over the years. I was always a little intimidated by the immaculate, intricate quilts of my mother in law or the displays in fabric stores, so I think it’s good to show people that everyone starts somewhere!
This particular quilt was originally intended for my nephew, and the purple fabric was supposed to be a dark blue, but the fabric selection just wasn’t quite right and I felt the purple was a better fit. Just like the Teal Star Baby Quilt, I’m not quite sure what happened to this quilt. I have a nagging feeling that it either ended up in storage or was deconstructed and cannibalized into other quilts.
My original intent for this quilt was to master triangles, which turned out easier than I had imagined, and the back of the quilt was designed to use up the rest of the fat quarters used to make the front of the quilt. To be honest, the longer I look at these picture, I find I prefer the back of the quilt to the top. There’s something to the simplicity of bold, stripes of color that I find appealing and uncluttered.
The quilting itself was very simple, and according to these pictures, was restricted largely to the border. I hope that’s not the case because I don’t want the center of the quilt to start deconstructing because the quilting too spaced out. Oh well, maybe if I do find this quilt I’ll fix that.